A Cosy Autumn with a High-Efficiency ASHP
Remember Tom? We met him earlier discussing Heat Pump vs Gas Boiler. As we nestled into the heart of autumn in Durham, the real test for his ASHP began. Crisp leaves, chilly winds, and the first snowflakes – a perfect setting to see the ASHP in its element.
Get a UK grant
Find out if you qualify for a free insulation and heating system grant
Homeowners & private tenants
Recipients of benefits
Save ££££ thousands of pounds on FREE insulation & heating installation
It only takes 2 min
* based on Energy Saving Trust
The Air Source Heat Pump Performance Report Card for Autumn in the North East, UK
Autumn, with its fluctuating temperatures, was a stage for Tom’s ASHP to showcase its versatility. Starting its operation in late September, it hummed through the autumn days, providing warmth and hot water with impressive efficiency. The numbers paint a vivid picture:
- Total Electricity Used: 736 kilowatt-hours for all heating and hot water needs
- Total Heat Delivered: 2,769 kilowatt hours
- Meaning? An average efficiency, or Coefficient of Performance (COP), of a notable 3.76.
Cost and Environmental Impact: ASHP vs. Gas Boiler
The battle of costs between the ASHP and a high-efficiency gas boiler was a close one. With an average rate on the Octopus Agile tariff, running the ASHP cost Tom about £95.62 over these autumn months. In comparison, a similar gas boiler setup would have set him back £98.78. Small savings, yes, but savings nonetheless!
But here’s the real winner – the environment. The ASHP, with its greener footprint, emitted a mere 154 kg of CO2 compared to a hefty 533 kg from a gas boiler. That’s a significant reduction, making a strong case for ASHPs as a friendlier choice for our planet.
Cost Comparison: ASHP vs. Gas Boiler
- ASHP Cost on Octopus Agile Tariff: £95.62
- Estimated Gas Boiler Cost: £98.78 (for the same heat output)
- Savings with ASHP: Approximately £3.15
Air Source Heat Pump Performance Environmental Impact
- CO2 Emissions with ASHP: 154 kg
- CO2 Emissions with Gas Boiler: 533 kg
- Reduction in CO2 Emissions: 378 kg
Exciting Opportunity with UK Energy Support! – For those interested in experiencing similar benefits as Tom, UK Energy Support team can install an ASHP for free as part of the government initiated ECO4 Scheme, if you qualify. Don’t miss out on this chance to upgrade your home heating system. Click the button below to see if you qualify.
A Year of Learning and Tinkering
Tom’s journey with his ASHP hasn’t just been about enjoying consistent warmth. It’s been a learning curve – adjusting settings, understanding the system, and improving efficiency. Compared to last year, even though this autumn was 20% colder, the ASHP only used 16% more energy, showcasing improved efficiency. Over two years, the system has become 18% more efficient – a testament to Tom’s dedication to optimizing his home heating.
- Autumn Efficiency: ASHPs can be highly efficient in autumn, with a COP of 3.76, making them a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option.
- Cost-Effective: Running an ASHP can be marginally cheaper than using a high-efficiency gas boiler.
- Reduced Carbon Footprint: ASHPs significantly lower CO2 emissions compared to traditional gas boilers.
- Continual Improvement: Regular adjustments and learning about the system can lead to improved efficiency over time.
Looking to replicate Tom’s success and efficiency in your home? UK Energy Support is here to help. We can install an ASHP for free under the ECO4 grant if you qualify. Transform your home heating experience by clicking below to see if you’re eligible.
This autumn, Tom’s ASHP not only proved to be efficient and cost-effective but also significantly reduced his carbon footprint. With each passing year, as the grid continues to decarbonize, the benefits of using an ASHP are likely to increase. Tom’s experience highlights the viability of ASHPs in the UK’s climate, even as winter approaches.
If you’re considering an ASHP for your home, now is a great time to explore this option. For more information or to get a free quote, check out the link below from the Eco experts. Stay tuned for our winter update, where we’ll delve into the performance of Tom’s ASHP during the colder months.
While we are not affiliated with Tom and his independent endeavours, we found his explanation of Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP) so comprehensive and insightful that we felt compelled to share it with our readers. Our aim is to provide the most informative and useful content, and Tom’s work aligns perfectly with this objective.