Grants for Disabled People for the Home

Many Grants for Disabled People are available through several government energy grants and funding sources. They help with the costs of making improvements to your home.

This means that physically disabled individuals and their family (as well as older people) will not have to spend the entirety of their savings to make their current home warm, safe and fully accessible to their needs by having access to disability grants.

Can I adapt heating measures for FREE through UKES?

You’re likely to qualify for ECO4 grant to have your heating system suitable to upgraded at no cost to you if you:

  • Are homeowners or rent a property (from a private landlord) in which you live
  • Have electrically heated home
  • Receive qualifying benefits (i.e. Universal Credit among others)

Below we explain what grants are available through UK Energy Support for disabled adults with a financial need when it comes to improving equipment and property energy efficiency (EPC rating):

  • Home heating upgrades  (boilers, electric storage heaters, air source heat pumps)
  • Insulation (cavity wall, loft, room-in-roof, and internal wall insulation)
  • Solar panels
We will also discuss other professional charities (with charitable grants and a family fund grant period), specialised equipment funds, and advice that individuals with disabilities and disabled children can get from different organisations, such as:

  • Disabled Facilities Grant
  • Local authorities and small adaptations
  • Means-testing and ‘household income’
  • Housing association disability grants
  • National Health Service (NHS)
  • Home Improvement Agencies (HIA) grants

What grants are available through UKES?

Several funding schemes in England, Scotland, and Wales offer disability grants for household repair and improvement for disabled, older people, and individuals with a financial need.

UK Energy Support is here to help you assess which home improvement measures can make your home a better place to live without having to pay for the upgrades available within ECO4 scheme or the Great British Insulation Scheme (GBIS) initiated by the UK Government as part of the Energy Company Obligation. (This does not include Northern Ireland).

It is possible to get a grant in certain circumstances, so check if you qualify first.

Disabled facilities grants

Here’s a full list of improvements or upgrades in your home we can do for free:

To reduce UK homes’ carbon emissions, the government offers a range of home improvements for people with disabilities on low income.

Your eligibility may allow you to have:

Following a free survey we can determine which heating measures can be installed in your home at no extra cost to you.

As a result of years of experience, we can have your home’s energy efficiency upgraded within a few days (depending on the property).

This is a government-backed scheme

Qualifying benefits for a disabled tenant or owner with low income:

The Disabled Facilities Grant does not qualify you for an ECO4 grant; however, if you are a low wage homeowner or private tenant and receive one of the following benefits, you might be able to get a maximum grant for free insulation or adapt heating upgrades.

Disability grants criteria
  • Child Benefits
  • CTC - Child Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit
  • JSA - Income based Jobseekers allowance
  • ESA - Income related Employment & Support Allowance
  • IS - Income Support
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • Pension Credit Savings Credit
  • UC - Universal Credit
  • WTC - Working Tax Credit
  • Warm Homes Discount

Grants for disabled people available in the UK

In order for physically disabled adults to live independently when they have a disability or medical condition (sometimes including a learning disability or mental health condition as well), there are disability grants on offer through local authorities, charities, and housing associations to make sure people can have a comfortable independent life.

A disabled person could be physically disabled (such as motor neurone disease, terminal illness, or another progressive condition) or have a learning disability or mental health condition.

A disabled tenant could apply for the maximum grant to adapt heating in their home, but there are also other things that can be done.

A family fund (which can come from a recommendation from your social worker) for the household might include funding for minor adaptations or specialist equipment such as:

  • widen doors,
  • adding grab rails,
  • new heating or lighting controls
  • install ramps for mobility scooters and wheelchair users.

Major adaptations from charities can also be arranged such as providing a ground level access shower and a suitable heating system for your disability.

For example, a national charity in the past in the West Midlands was the ‘Help Us’ online charity initiative to help with a disabled individuals and families to receive funding to develop their homes.

The ‘help us’ initiative has now moved onto the Include Me charity fund for disabled children and young people, age 16 and under, to have disability and age-appropriate sports equipment in the UK (excluding Northern Ireland).

You may also be able to get a grant to fund ill health aid, like an occupational therapist (OT assessment) or installing a downstairs bathroom and other disabled facilities for people with mobility issues.

These will often cover the cost of installation and maintenance under certain eligibility criteria and a supporting letter for an application form.

Disabled Facilities Grant UK (DFG)

Perhaps you are thinking: what is it, who can apply for it, and how do I get a disabled facilities grant?The Disabled Facilities Grant helps you pay for the costs associated with making changes to peoples’ own homes so that you can stay in them rather than go into residential care for vulnerable people (often for carer respite breaks by charities).

A council-disabled facilities grant may be available if you require modifications to your home due to your disability, for example, to:

  • Widen doors and install ramps
  • A stair lift or wet room could improve access to rooms and facilities
  • Make sure you have a suitable heating system
  • Easy-to-use heating or lighting controls (usually for blind people)
  • You can apply for a Disabled Facilities grant through your local council

Local authorities and small adaptations

Local authorities (as opposed to the national body) usually pay for other help, like adaptations and building work under £1,000 if a disabled person meets their criteria and are determined to require it.

There is usually no means-testing involved in these adaptations. A grab rail, for example, could make getting into and out of the bath easier.

Do not hesitate to apply to your local council for a small grant if:

  • Your local authority’s website does not provide information about small grants for essential items for disabled young people.
  • Professional charities explain paying for small adaptations for your ill child or any young people yourself is not possible on your earnings.
  • Social services or your social worker has suggested it to provide grants for your needs, possibly out of a family fund (this is especially true for young people and families with young children, according to charities).
  • Even if you need a few small adaptations, an occupational therapist can still provide you with an application form and assessment. This will ensure that they’re appropriate, necessary and will work for you.

Means-testing and ‘household income'

Your household wages and savings over £6,000 will be considered in this calculation a means-tested grant (but not a means test for disabled facilities grant).

The savings category includes ISAs as well as Premium Bonds.

In most cases, the money if you get a grant will cover the whole cost of any assistance or repairs needed if you receive another means-tested benefit.

Your local council may cover a portion of or all the costs if you are not.

Household earnings are calculated differently by local authorities.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and other disability funds should not be included.

Counting disability costs varies by the local services. Spending £1000 on the following would be an example:

  • The cost of social care
  • As a result of your condition, your home costs more to heat
  • Your local authority will not count this £1,000 if it agrees that these are extra costs. For a household income of £16,000, means-testing would apply to £15,000.

Housing association grants

As housing associations have different policies and procedures, make sure you check them out for advice.

It is possible for your association to act as a home owner and private landlord.

You may be required to apply directly to the local authority for a DFG yourself or with their help.

Associations themselves sometimes fund larger adaptations, therefore, your local authority would not be able to grant you a DFG due to this.

National Health Service (NHS)

The NHS usually provides adaptations and specialist equipment only if something is urgently needed.

Local authorities are often in charge of making recommendations for larger adaptations, but some community NHS services and charities can recommend small, non-urgent changes.

Occupational therapists (OTs) can help you make your house more accessible and safe so you can either:

  • Upon hospital discharge
  • Avoid hospitalisation

These professional services do not always include mental health problems and learning disabilities.

Home Improvement Agencies (HIA) grants

This program helps people with disabilities and older adults stay in safe and suitable residence.

If you need assistance with the cost of adaptations, they can help you locate local schemes and funds.

Additionally, they may be able to assist with:

  • Grant applications for the DFG and other agencies
  • Developing a work plan
  • Choosing a tradesperson you can trust
  • Requesting quotes
  • Home Improvement Agency in your area

What kind of grants could I get?

Financial support can often depend on your personal or financial information, such as the kind of disability you have and how much it affects your physical, mental or financial situation.

It might be that you need assistance to bring better visibility to your home if you have problems with your vision or mobility (many blind people have successfully applied for this).

Money from disabled facilities grants (DFG) could be used to add lighting at your front door or railings with the aid of local authorities.

What do these home improvement grants cover?

Adaptations To and Around Your Home

Your home can be made safer with disabled facilities grants, like if no downstairs bedroom provide your needs, stairlifts can be added.

You could also get accessible door chains, mobility aids, and grab rails for easy accessibility to the second floor.

Wheelchair-accessible doors can be widened or repositioned.

You can improve your visibility outdoors by installing lighting, while for access to your garden build ramps and handrails to make it easier to get outside.

Kitchen Access

A standard kitchen with ordinary household items is difficult to use if you’re disabled.

It is possible you might need to lower worktops and have cabinets with pull-out shelves.

A wheelchair-accessible sink can be installed for tenants, as can kettle tippers, one-handed chopping boards, and one-handed chopping boards.

Bathroom Access

You might need a walk-in bath, a shower seat, or a bath lift, which can all provide independence.

Flood detectors can also be fitted so that if anything does go wrong, you have a failsafe.

A stairlift can also be fitted if you do not have a downstairs bathroom.

Safety Alarms

You should also consider your home’s safety, especially if moving around is challenging.

Several alarm options are available according to statutory sources, including a personal alarm, pressure sensors, gas detectors, and carbon monoxide alarms.

Where can I get more help?

To get more help and further information on a owner occupiers grant application for changes to your home, search, visit, and contact these websites for advice and repairs:

  • GOV.UK – the UK Government website includes more information and statutory sources on Grants for Disabled People offered in the UK (England, Scotland, and Wales – not Northern Ireland) as well as lists of charities.
  • Citizens advice – these have information on a variety of registered charity organisations and not-for-profit companies who can help with more details on the rules around disability grants, including the grant period times.
  • Disability Grants Organisation – this national charity organisation is a group focused on finding who can provide grants for disabled and vulnerable people in the UK (whether learning disabilities or physical conditions) via a search function.
  • Specific home improvement agencies who specialise in helping people with home improvements and giving advice about things like household items as well as home funding(including a family fund) and the grant period.
  • UKES – you can check whether you’re eligible for disability-related home improvement grants below.

Don't wait! Apply Now!

Providing free help for individuals with a disability is the focus of our UKES team.

Follow us and let us help you improve your home’s energy efficiency and fill in an application form to apply for available grants for disabled people on Universal Credit through ECO4 scheme.