Pros and Cons of Air Source Heat Pumps
While ASHPs offer numerous benefits, they may not be suitable for all settings. They may be less efficient in extremely cold temperatures and can produce some noise. However, modern systems are designed to mitigate these issues.
Pros of Air Source Heat Pumps
- Financial incentive: UK heat pump grants fully offset the initial cost of the air source heat pump as well as its installation.
- Energy Efficiency: Air source heat pumps are highly energy-efficient, often more so than traditional fossil fuel heating systems.
- Low Carbon Footprint: As low carbon heating systems, they significantly reduce your carbon footprint.
- Renewable Energy: Air source heat pumps are considered renewable heating systems, utilising air source heat from the environment.
- Versatility: They can be used for both heating and cooling, offering a multi-seasonal solution.
- Energy Saving Measures: These systems are compatible with other energy-saving measures like solar panels.
- Reduced Fuel Costs: Over time, heat pumps can reduce your reliance on fossil fuels, lowering your energy bills.
Cons of Air Source Heat Pumps
- Initial Cost: Without grant eligibility, the upfront cost can exceed that of traditional fossil fuel systems.
- Electricity Use: These systems require electricity, which could come from fossil fuels if not paired with a renewable energy source.
- Space Requirement: An outdoor space is necessary for the external unit, making it impractical for some living situations.
- Hybrid Systems: For optimal performance, a hybrid system combining air and ground source heat pumps may sometimes be necessary.
- Noise: While modern units are quieter, some noise is still generated during operation.
- Maintenance: Regular upkeep is required for optimal performance, although maintenance needs are minimal with modern units.
Expert Opinions and Tips
If you’re contemplating a low carbon heating system for your home, expert research offers compelling reasons to consider Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHPs). A study by Hongyu Zhang et al. in 2019 highlights that increasing the use of heat pump heating is advantageous not just for reducing carbon and air pollutant emissions, but also for its benefits to the power grid and economic operation. This makes ASHPs a compelling heat source in the fight against climate change.
“Increasing the share of heat pump heating is advantageous in terms of carbon emissions, air pollutants emissions, benefits to the power grid, and economic operation”
Zhang, H., Zhou, L., Huang, X., & Zhang, X. (2019). Decarbonizing a large City’s heating system using heat pumps: A case study of Beijing. Energy. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENERGY.2019.07.150.
“20% of the expected reduction of electricity consumption is converted into increased comfort in the homes, including extended heating areas, keeping a higher temperature and a longer heating season”
Gram-hanssen, K., Christensen, T., & Petersen, P. (2012). Air-to-air heat pumps in real-life use: Are potential savings achieved or are they transformed into increased comfort?. Energy and Buildings, 53, 64-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENBUILD.2012.06.023.
Furthermore, research by K. Gram-hanssen et al. in 2012 reveals that ASHPs can lead to a 20% reduction in electricity consumption, which homeowners often convert into increased comfort, such as extended heating areas and a longer heating season.
When it comes to space heating, ASHPs not only offer a more energy-efficient alternative to traditional systems like biomass boilers but also contribute to a more comfortable living environment. With such strong scientific backing, an air source heat pump could be your next smart, sustainable choice.
Is Air Source Heat Pump Grant Available Under ECO4?
Government energy efficiency scheme measures are fitted through installers, such as us, approved by the biggest energy suppliers. This ensures a high standard of work and gives you peace of mind.
Don’t worry, if your current energy supplier isn’t on the list, you may still qualify for Government Energy Grants. Complete our form, and we’ll confirm that you meet enough of the other criteria to benefit from the Energy Company Obligation grant. This could be your chance to receive a valuable heat pump government grant and increase the energy efficiency of your home at no cost to you.
ECO4 is a government initiated scheme overseen by Ofgem
Apply Today for a grant for Air Source Heat Pumps
Here at UK Energy Support, we want to help as many people as possible improve their energy consumption. Get in touch and start saving on your energy bill with the heat source pump grant.