Government Benefits for 60 Year Olds: What Could You Be Entitled To?
At age 66, both men and women in the UK are at pensionable age and are eligible to claim their state pension. In this article we cover what grants are available for 60 year olds or you can follow this link to find out more about free stuff for seniors over 65 UK has to offer.
Can You Get Government Benefits for 60 Year Olds?
The amount depends on the qualifying years of National Insurance contributions you have made over your lifetime. However, there are different ways you could have built up your National Insurance payments:
- Earning more than £183 per week from employment.
- Paying National Insurance contributions with your self-employed income.
- Paying voluntary NI contributions to make up for gaps in your record.
- You have claimed certain benefits.
- Child Benefit (including disabled child benefit)
- Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Carer’s Allowance (or other attendance allowances)
This usually doesn’t include housing benefit or council tax contributions, but you can check with your local authority or energy supplier for their benefit decision if you are unsure.
If you wonder what grants are available for 60 year olds click on the link above or check your eligibility for grants available through UK Energy Support below.
You can also use a pension drawdown calculator to check state pension forecast.
I am Over 60. What Benefits Am I Entitled To?
It can be a quite complex process when trying to find out what you’re entitled to when reaching pensionable age. The government benefits for over 60s UK Energy Support can help with, is getting your home heated properly (which is definitely one of the things you are entitled to as senior citizens). All of the schemes below for heating homes do not usually include residential care, but we suggest you speak to Age UK for their pensions advice and home living arrangements.
There are many perks of being senior citizens who live in the UK which means you are able to claim many things, such as travel discounts and other transport concessions like a bus pass and rail card, English heritage tickets, discounted dental treatment and eye sight tests, discounted cinema tickets, and a free TV licence! That’s a lot of stuff, but let’s talk about the schemes for heating homes that are applicable to senior citizens too.
ECO is a government backed scheme
Heating and Insulation Schemes for 60 Year Olds And Pensioners
Some UK energy companies have signed up for government schemes that allow vulnerable or low income households to claim free heating improvements, such as getting a free storage heater, and insulation. This also follows the government goal of making UK homes more energy efficient. One of the schemes is called ECO4 Scheme (Energy Company Obligation).
Benefits of the ECO scheme:
- You can have your room heaters replaced with electric storage heater for free.
- You don’t have to pay for the storage heater as the grant is non-repayable.
- You can help reduce the UK’s carbon emissions.
- You will receive reliable and trustworthy certified insulation installers (like us!)
- Your new energy efficient heater will make your home warmer in the winter months and cooler in summer.