What are Charis Grants?
The Charis grants scheme is a UK based administrator that helps individuals and families gain essential grants and funds on behalf of other major companies (such as the npower energy fund), charities, and authorities. They work across many sectors but mainly help people with the application form and assessment process to gain energy trust funding for heating their home sustainably and aid with financial assistance for households.
- So far, they have provided £11 million to vulnerable people with their Charis grant application form, supporting evidence and assessment process.
- They helped design and support the launch of the Warm Home Discount scheme with energy suppliers.
- Approximately 39 thousand Charis grants are processed each year.
- 7680 emergency support vouchers (primarily for people’s gas and electric bill) and debt advice were given out in 2020.
Energy Initiatives from the Charis Grant Scheme
Charis grants can help you with your application form and supporting evidence for the many energy trust schemes energy companies have in place for low household income families and vulnerable people in need of gas and electric bill funding for their homes.
These can provide support for household energy bills for those who are struggling and are in need of financial assistance. The grant could also be paid for the current year, any amounts due depending on the size of the household, and go towards buying energy-efficient white goods.
Other energy suppliers in partnership with the Charis grants can also aid in boiler repairs, and replacements, such as the Ovo Energy Let’s Talk Energy Fund.
The Charis grants scheme manages the Scottish Power Warm Home Discount so vulnerable households can receive up to £140 credit amounts due for electricity bills paid for the current year of cold winter months.
Here are examples of the home financial assistance available that Charis grants can help with:
E.ON Next Energy Fund
EON Energy Fund (however, this fund is closed for the year now)
EDF Energy Fund
Ovo Energy Let’s Talk Energy Fund
Scottish Power Warm Home Discount
British Gas Energy Trust
Npower Energy Fund
Income related benefits that can help you get a government grant:
To qualify for these grants, people often have low household income or have vulnerable people living there. There are certain income related benefits that can help you get a financial assistance grant from the government (you can see citizens advice for more information), this includes:
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Child Benefit (or disabled benefits for child linked with child benefit)
- Child Tax Credits (include child benefit letters)
- Universal Credit (include annual benefit letters)
- Working Current Tax Credits
- Pension Guarantee Credit (pensions dwp, pension letters, or similar pages from the department of pensions are required)
- Employment and Support Allowance (include annual benefit letters)
- Jobseeker’s Allowance (include annual benefit letters)
- Disability Living Allowance (requires medical confirmation)
- Personal Independence Payment (requires medical confirmation)
- Carer’s Allowance